Sunday, April 5, 2009

Blog #10

1. The rhetoric of these t-shirts is starting to appeal to the younger generation, helping religion make a come back after a short fall in participation. I personally think that these t-shirts are kind of cool. They express different aspects of a person while still showing their religious side. If you don't like these t-shirts, then don't buy one, but don't judge another person solely on the fact that they do or do not wear a religious t-shirt. Some people wear these t-shirts to attract attention to themselves, while others wear them to show their religion or that it can be fun and for everyone. The t-shirts seem the same appeal to me, but I myself would never wear one. The only times I go to church are for the Christmas service and the Easter sunrise service, though some times I wish I was more motivated to go and experience it. I definitely believe that my lack of exposure to religion has to do with the fact I find these t-shirts in no way appealing to me.

2. "Neither did anyone in the crowd, even though I didn't see anyone else wearing a t-shirt like mine. I expected someone to say something, anything. But no one did." (Mitchell). This quote shows that no one else in the crowd at The Big Day Out concert even cared that he was wearing a religious t-shirt. This use of religion on t-shirts has become a big hit, and is continuing to grow, but this is a good thing; which is helping the younger generation get back into religion. These t-shirts are not a bad thing.

3. If these t-shirts only had the text, they would not be as powerful as including the picture or the religious symbol. The picture is what really sells the shirts. Having a recognizable figure or symbol on these t-shirts is why people are buying them and continue to wear them. And oppositely only a picture might sell more, but both words and picture combination is the best.

4. I would think that having Jesus has a homeboy (aka friend) would be a good thing, meaning having him on your side and there when you need him. Coexisting with all of the religions, especially now a days, is one of the best things we could ask for. Jesus loving someone is just reaffirming someone's religion to the rest of the world, as with crosses, stars of David, and other symbols of religion worn or shown in some manner. Cartoon Jesus might lean toward the younger generation, while the realer looking Jesus would lean toward the truly faithful. The white or black background is simple. These t-shirts are good for religion today and should be considered special and unique for religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment